CS 61A Resources
By Allen Guo
Last Updated: 10/24/2017
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6:30-8:30pm (in 400 Cory)
- Anonymous feedback form: link
- Pre-section playlist: link.
- Discussion 0 (8/24): link.
- Discussion 1 (8/31): link.
- Discussion 2 (9/7): link.
- The official Python tutorial: link.
- Practice problems:
- Beginner practice problems: CodingBat.
- Harder problems: 99 Prolog Problems.
- Many of these are beyond 61A's scope. Focus on the ones with a single asterisk (*).
- These questions were written with a different language (Prolog) in mind, but you should be able to translate them to Python.
- You can find answers here.
- Programming puzzles for the mathematically inclined: Project Euler.
Part I: Functional Abstraction
- Need practice with recursion?
- Do some problems from String-2 and List-2 at CodingBat. Force yourself to use recursion instead of loops or built-in functions.
- Similarly, check out the lists section of 99 Prolog Problems.
Part II: Data Abstraction
Part III: Objects and Sequences
Part IV: Interpreters and Data
- Confused about quotation?
Inspiration and Wisdom
Internships and Interviews
- From r/cscareerquestions: internships FAQ and resume advice.
- Curated list of companies accepting applications: link.
- Passing the average interview requires knowledge from both 61A and 61B, so plan to study ahead.
- The most popular interview prep book is CTCI. It's worth getting.
- Freshmen are at a heavy disadvantage compared to sophomores and juniors.
- Take advantage of freshmen-specific programs. See here.
- If you get a lot of rejections, don't take it personally. Try again next year!
- Coding interview tips: link.
- Lists of practice questions: link 1, link 2, link 3.
Life After CS 61A
- CS draft schedule (i.e., who's teaching what): link.
- Crowdsourced advice from the CS Facebook group: link.
- HKN's guide to EE/CS courses: link.
- Course advice for aspiring data scientists, by Khoa Tran: link.
I Still Have Questions!
Email me at email@example.com.